Sunday, January 22, 2012

Winter

When we moved this fall I pretty much only packed warm weather clothes.  Even though I had looked into the weather, and know that 8C isn't exactly sundress temperature, there is just something about moving to the Middle East (especially in November) that makes you think - nah, it'll be super hot.  Haha.  Well seeing how cold places are back in Canada right now, I suppose 8 seems pretty warm...

Winter in Tel Aviv means rain.  A lot of rain.  Because it only rains for a few months each year, the streets aren't really designed to take it all that well.  So since today is our 3rd consecutive day of intense downpour, the streets are a little flooded (perfect for puddle jumping if you're into shin deep puddles).  I remembered just before lunch that we didn't have any food...so I ran out to get some during a lull in the storm.  During this lull the sewers had caught up a bit and the streets weren't so flooded.  However, when I left the store the rain had come back with a vengeance, and the streets were once again flooded.  I was going to take some pictures because it looked awesome, but I was too busy running (and trying to keep the pita dry)

The good news is that I love rain and it makes it very cozy inside.  Here are a few pictures from around our flat:

View from our bedroom window overlooking the front garden and Tagore St.


This is the building next to ours. You can just sort of see that the downspout is disconnected near the roof, giving us a very nice waterfall to walk under when we leave the building


This is the waterfall leading out to Tagore - it also creates a nice pond/river along the walkway. It's hard to see but it is the entire length of that building overhanging the sidewalk - in a lovely sheet. I've found it best to just duck my head, run and jump over the massive puddle, while trying not to slip in the sand. It's pretty sweet to watch other people do it... especially when they don't quite clear the puddle.

This is kitty corner to the last picture (to the left) of our back/side garden.  I love these bushes which are everywhere.  The flowers are bright red and long and never unfold, so they look sort of like a rolled up hibiscus flower.  The rain is nice because it makes everything beautiful and green.  When we moved here in  November both of these yards were just dirt.


3 comments:

  1. it looks like the west coast, so green! also, my favourite line is "i remembered just before lunch that we didn't have any food"- haha! Do you have an epic pair of rubber boots to jump the puddles in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish! I meant to get some when I was in Canada (so expensive here) but forgot. But if this rain keeps up I just might have to go buy some ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the engineering detail ...the streets aren't really designed...the downspout is disconnected...Dad will be proud!

    ReplyDelete